Various recent threads about networking issues

Ambrogio fn050202 at flashnet.it
Tue Jun 27 15:16:20 UTC 2006

Il giorno mar, 27/06/2006 alle 10.47 -0400, Matthew Saltzman ha scritto:
> On Tue, 27 Jun 2006, Ambrogio wrote:
> > done.
> > It works, but I think it worked also before.
> > The problem is that change in naming interface is not good.
>
> That's right.  But the initscripts fixes the apparently random
> reassignment that people are seeing.  It has to pick an order, and if that
> wasn't the last one you saw, it will change.  From now on, though, it
> won't change any more.
I don't think it's apparently random.
It is definitely after some driver in the kernel makes hardware
recognized.

For example, if I remove both the bcm43xx and sis900 modules, and load
first the sis900 and after the bcm43xx the order return that I want
(eth0 lan and eth1 wireless).
And after kernel upgrade I see always the same order, first the bcm and
after the sis, so eth0 is wireless and eth0 is the lan.

So, question are:

1. Is possible to make unloadable at boot a module?
2. Where info about names are stored? There is a file, or is only at
runtime (on boot or modules load)?
3. Is blacklist file in /etc/modules.d used to make modules unloadable
at boot time?

Bye
 Ambrogio