Failures with cdrecord

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Wed Jun 28 01:34:56 UTC 2006

Janina Sajka wrote:
> Hi, Jim:
>
> Jim Cornette writes:
>> Janina Sajka wrote:
>>> All of a sudden I'm finding myself unable to burn a cd rom with
>>> cdrecord. I'm having the same problem on three different systems, each
>>> of which is running fully updated FC5. The cdrecord on each of these
>>> machines is cdrecord-2.01.01.0.a03-3, unchanged since March last. I'm
>>> also quite certain that I had no problems burning back around the
>>> beginning of May. I've tried a few different discs, and scsi, ide, usb
>>> and firewire burners--all with the similar failures like the following:
>>>
>>> cmd finished after 0.001s timeout 200s
>>> write track pad data: error after 0 bytes
>>> BFree: 0 K BSize: 1506 K
>>> Starting new track at sector: 0
>>> Track 12:    0 of    6 MB written.cdrecord: Input/output error.
>>> write_g1: scsi sendcmd: no error
>>> CDB:  2A 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 1F 00
>>> status: 0x2 (CHECK CONDITION)
>>> Sense Bytes: 70 00 05 00 00 00 00 0A 00 00 00 00 27 00 00 00
>>> Sense Key: 0x5 Illegal Request, Segment 0
>>> Sense Code: 0x27 Qual 0x00 (write protected) Fru 0x0
>>> Sense flags: Blk 0 (not valid)
>>> resid: 63488
>>> cmd finished after 0.001s timeout 200s
>>>
>>> write track data: error after 0 bytes
>>> cdrecord: A write error occured. (Seamonkey mail says occurred, could the error message state something more than "it does not work")
>>> cdrecord: Please properly read the error message above. (I did, but it was not that helpful.)
>>> Writing  time:   11.980s
>>> Average write speed   9.1x.
>>> Fixating...
>>> Fixating time:    0.003s
>>> cdrecord: fifo had 64 puts and 1 gets.
>>> cdrecord: fifo was 0 times empty and 0 times full, min fill was 100%.
>>>
>>> Is it me? My media? Or something in some library? I've downversioned two
>>> kernels, but still get the same failure.

I did a search on the "Sense Key: 0x5 Illegal Request, Segment 0"

Which mentioned DAO vs. TAO mode. Maybe you could search with criteria

Excerpt below:
and mentioned that it works okay in DAO mode but not TAO. This is
expected to be a transient problem as the driver catches up with the drive.

http://www.linuxtopia.org/online_books/linux_beginner_books/debian_linux_desktop_survival_guide/LG_CED_8080B.shtml

> Is it possible this could be my cdr media? Why would it be trying to
> write track 12 when I specified a .iso file (specifically boot.iso from
> the FC5 installation media)?

This might be the problem. I never tried to grab an iso file off of the
CDROM itself. Are you copying the ISO file to the hard drive? It is a
relatively small file.

My reasoning is that the disk with the iso file is too slow in access
time for the writer to keep up with the reader.
Another influencing factor might be that both the CD Recorder and the CD
reader are on the same controller.
Since you mentioned using USB,IDE and other readers.

>> I thought that there was another possible problem with cdrecord. I could
>> not find the thread.
>>
> Thanks for looking. I also didn't find anything when I Googled. So, I'm
> wondering whether it's me or something bigger. Is it possible no one
> else is using cdrecord from the cli that there haven't been complaints?

I believe there are a lot of die hard CLI users on the list. I use GUI
to record and let the front-end programs do the work.

I think the lack of response might be regarding that no is sure what
options you are giving to burn the ISO. As noted above, the message
referring to the error is pretty useless. Please properly read the
message above. I did, it only indicated what I knew and all "properly
reading the message" gained was a spelling error.

> Seems like it might be me, but media is aall I haven't ruled out.

I suppose that you could try burning with the same media on another
machine or using another OS to test.

Are you compiling a kernel with special features enabled or using a
stock kernel?

Anyway, there needs to be an easier interface for bugzilla which does
not look so horrible with text based browsers.

Jim

--
You can't hug a child with nuclear arms.