Spam Filter

jdow jdow at earthlink.net
Wed Jun 28 02:32:14 UTC 2006

From: "A simple test" <tmz at pobox.com>
> jdow wrote:
>> That seems to be the ticket. Usually a Reply-To: address would be
>> used when you want a reply sent to a different address than the
>> "To:" line. For some people that's a handy tool. For this list it
>> seems to get in the way.
>
> That depends on your goals.  Knowing the list behaves this way,
> someone who wants to be Cc'd on their posts will have a greater
> likelihood of that happening when most people just hit reply.
>
> (I'm not that sort of someone, one copy is just fine for me. :)
>
>> I was thinking in terms of a misconfiguration at Aaron's site.
>
> Ahh, I see.
>
>> It MAY be that his MUA is too smart for it's own good. I use <choke
>> puke>Outlook Express</choke> typically. It doesn't toss on the
>
> Both Evolution and OE and most other mailers will add the reply-to if
> you specify it in the account configuration, none that I've toyed with
> add it automatically.  But I'm sure there are at least a few that will
> do something silly like this to their users.
>
>> It also does not reduce a dual "Reply-To:" down to one.
>
> That's a good thing.  It shouldn't.  I can't point at the proper
> RFC's, but I know that in some of the posts and debates about the
> default for this setting that I've read on the mailman-users list over
> the years it's been mentioned.
>
>> Regardless something screwy's going on.
>
> Really?  I think all is well here.  The list is merely adding its own
> address to the Reply-To, which is a decent compromise between not
> touching the reply-to and overwriting it completely.  And it seems
> many of the mail clients in use here will honor that header and send
> mail to all the addresses in the reply-to.

I'm feeling slow today. I can't see how the way the headers are applied
Aaron would find sending emails with a "reply" to you would cause a
problem. A simple reply should end up with the email going to the list,
pretty much as it should.

Now, email back to Aaron from you might include two messages, the
direct one and the one to the list. His mailer might filter out the
second receipt of the same message, which would usually be the one
from the list. So he'd find himself replying to you directly rather
than to the list after you'd replied to him. But that's not quite
the scenario Aaron seemed to indicate. If it is we have it solved.
If my curiosity pushes me to probe further to find out why. It's a
silly small puzzle. But I'm crazy that way.

{^_-}   Joanne

{^_^}