weird sound problem fc5

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Wed Jun 28 05:01:54 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-06-27 at 23:59 -0400, Ric Moore wrote:
> If the headphones are plugged in, the circuit to the usual speakers
> would be held 'open' by the headphone stereo jack and nothing will get
> around that, --if-- it's hardware. If you plug the headphones in and
> had the speakers working too, then the load would be what? 4 ohms?
> instead of 8? One of the hams can do the math for ya, but it wouldn't
> be good to do that to the amp, as I seem to dimly recall from
> electronics 101 taken 35 years ago.

Usually such amplifiers aren't going to be bothered by a 32 Ohm set of
headphones plugged in at the same time as 8 Ohm speakers.  There's not
much power in these circuits, they're usually short-circuit protected,
and headphones are often connected through some series resistors,
anyway.  What you'd probably notice though is unusefully different
volumes in the speakers and headphones at the same time.

To make things more complex, it appears that some computers may have
separate, and independent, headphones and speaker amplifiers.

I read messages from the public lists.