AW: Re: Fedora vs SuSe

joe at illegal-access.de joe at illegal-access.de
Wed Jun 28 07:30:06 UTC 2006

Hi,

both distributions have the same stability, since they use (nearly) the same kernel, the same tools, the same compiler,...

The "difference" is, that SuSE has a more comfortable tool for install and setup (called yast(2)). Here you have an "all-in-one" tool for almost every admin-task. Within the redhat-world, you use about 10 tools... system-config-users, -display, -network, .... I use redhat (RHEL) and SuSE (also enterprise) and both have their "nice" features.

>From my point of view: SuSE makes a more "complete" distro... The SLES contains a CA, integrated LDAP and yast2 makes a lot of jobs easier. On the other hand: redhat has the ability of cluster-software... So, it depends on your needs.

"SuSE" was a german company, who build a "german" linux-distro. Now, it's owned by Novell... take a look at their web-site.

cu,
 Joe