ejabberd from extras: problems with initscripts

Roger Grosswiler roger at gwch.net
Wed Jun 28 10:59:32 UTC 2006

Hello,

i installed the recent version of ejabberd from extras, in the hope, i
finally get a standardized, well-working init-script with (and the
advantage of updating via yum ;-)

Unfortunately, the shipped init-script is not working and i even get no
error-message!!!

It is starting - i get the OK when doing /sbin/service ejabberd start -
and it works also - somehow. Somehow means, the chat-server doesn't listen
to any other port than epmd.

so, this is what i find in /etc/init.d/ejabberd (modified, some \\\ are
missing, this is from the ejabberd-homepage, as it is the same...)

erl -pa /usr/lib/ejabberd-1.1.1/ebin \
      -sname ejabberd \
      -s ejabberd \
      -ejabberd config \"/etc/ejabberd/ejabberd.cfg\" \
                log_path \"/var/log/ejabberd/ejabberd.log\" \
      -sasl sasl_error_logger \{file,\"/var/log/ejabberd/sasl.log\"\} \
      -mnesia dir \"/var/lib/ejabberd/spool\"

so, this does not work. It starts ejabberd - and i think without any
config-file, even if it is mentionned.

starting ejabberd from /etc/ejabberd/ with this:

erl -pa /var/lib/ejabberd/ebin -name ejabberd -s ejabberd

...makes ejabberd working flawlessy! I hadn't the chance to check it
running as user ejabberd, so perhaps it is a question of permissions?

I have no idea and it is heavy to find out, as nothing is logged.

I thank in advance for any help!

Roger