recording sound under KDE

Nigel Henry cave.dnb at tiscali.fr
Wed Jun 28 15:46:42 UTC 2006

On Wednesday 28 June 2006 14:09, Gary Stainburn wrote:
> Hi folks.
>
> I want to record audio on my FC4 system so I've connected the sound source
> to the line-in on my PC, configured the sound using kmix and I get the
> audio coming out of the speakers.  I've then set the recording source as
> the line-in.
>
> However, when I run krec, no matter what settings I change in kmix or krec
> I just record silence.
>
> Anyone got any suggestions on how to fix it, or suggest alternatives.
>
> Gary
>
> --
> Gary Stainburn

Hi Gary. I havn't used Krecord for ages, and then only for recording Internet
radio. Anyway, the things that need to be set are:
The aRts sound system needs to be running. See control centre/sound and
multimedia/sound system. Also under the hardware tab "full duplex" needs to
be checked, then apply.

Kmix on some systems only show "output" and "switches" and the input tab is
empty, so open alsamixer in a Konsole. The control "line" with a switch at
the bottom needs to be unmuted. M toggles that. Don't just shove the slider
up to max, you can get terrible feedback loops.  Now press F4 that takes you
to the capture controls. You want the control marked "Analog M". That one can
be pushed up to the redline. F3 will take you back to the playback controls.
and F5 shows everything.

With your radio plugged into line in, you should see the VU meters showing
some activity, even without having created a new file, and pressing the big
red button. aRts control's view/audio manager should show 2 lines.
Krec::In
Krec::Out

At the moment I am listening to Internet radio (radio4) on one machine, with
sound output to my DJ mixer. This is being fed back into the other machine's
line in, and Krecord is showing some good levels.

If you are already using the soundcard, listening to a CD or something, and
your card is not capable of multiple audio streams, the aRts sound server
won't start, and will throw up an error message, and consequently Krecord
will not play ball.

Let us know how you get on.

Nigel.

btw. The apps I use for recording stuff are MhWaveedit, which needs to be
compiled from source, and now and again I use Timemachine.