pros and cons of separate filesystems

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed Jun 28 18:19:41 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-06-28 at 10:41 -0700, Florin Andrei wrote:

> > Are there any compelling reasons to do that anymore or should I just
> > make one big partition? I am talking about a couple pretty big SATA
> > drives in probably a RAID 1 configuration.
>
> There is no One Answer To Rule Them All.
>
> On my laptop, I just put everything on one big partition. There's no
> valid reason to piecemeal it on such a system. It's a laptop
> ferkrissake.

If you are thinking of performance on a server instead, the bottleneck
is often disk head motion so you want things that can overlap activity
like logfiles in /var and user files in /home to be on different
physical drives as well as partition.  For a single user machine it
isn't going to make much difference.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell at gmail.com