Add to text file from command line via echo... possible to add to a particular line?[Scanned]

Chris Bradford chrisbradford at cambridge-news.co.uk
Thu Jun 29 06:42:24 UTC 2006

Hi guys,

I'm making a setup script for my Linux boxes that re-install Openldap
and some other bits and bobs. I need to add some text to /etc/pam.d/gdm
for example, and it needs to be on a particular line in this file, not
at the bottom.

For example using the command:

echo 'session   required   pam_mkhomedir.so skel=/etc/skel umask=0077'
 >> /etc/pam.d/gdm

Will only add this to the bottom of the file, can I get around this, it
needs to be on the same position on all machines, ie line 8.

Cheers,

-Chris