GNOME won't boot

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Fri Jun 30 02:59:58 UTC 2006

dragontale wrote:
> I have a major problem. I can't seem to logon to GNOME. After I type
> in my password and hit enter, a message pops up saying:
>
> "There was an error starting the GNOME Setting Daemon. Some thing,
> such as themes, sounds, or background settings may not work
> correctly. The setting Daemon restarted too many times. The last
> error message was: Child process did not give an error massage,
> unknown failure occured. GNOME will still try to restart the Settings
> Daemon next tiime you log in"
> The last thing that I did to the computer was uninstalling "Glade
> Interface Designer" I'm positive that I didn't uninstall anything
> that was related to GNOME. Anyway, after uninstalling Glade Interface
> Designer, I tried to go into terminal but it failed. So that's when I
> restarted the computer. Then that's when I received the above error
> message when trying to log in, as you can see.
>
> As of now, I have no idea what to do to fix this. I will take any
> suggestions. Am I toast?

It is possible that something that was used in gnome-sessions was not
removed when the interface designer package was removed.

Something that I would try is to remove the files under
~/.metacity/sessions and see if things work again. You also might
renaming the ~/.gnome* directories and the ~/.metacity directory to see
if gnome will come up with the default settings.

Probably the safest thing to try is to create a new user and see if the
new user account works to launch gnome.

Someone else might have a better idea. I doubt gnome is toast.

Also, SELinux might have some influence on you having the problem. You
might switch to a virtual terminal, logged in as root and run
setenforce 0
Then switch back to the login GUI and try to launch gnome again. What
setenforce 0 does is to log but not prevent actions not allowed in the
security policy. Having a mislabeled filesystem (security content) might
cause such an error.

I hope this gives you some ideas to try.

Jim

--
Never trust a computer you can't repair yourself.