New Motherboard Install

David Jansen jansen at strw.leidenuniv.nl
Fri Jun 30 14:41:22 UTC 2006

On Fri, Jun 30, 2006 at 09:20:57AM -0500, Don Maxwell wrote:
> On 6/30/06, Randy Wyatt <rwwyatt01 at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >Will you be changing  the CPU?  and do you use the generic kernel as
> >provided by redhat?
> >I have brought up redhat after a moterboard and CPU change just fine.
> >It only required a little modification.  You will have to reconfigure
> >X after the system comes up  so you may want to make sure that you
> >boot into runlevel 3.
> >
> Yes, the CPU will change but the good news is that I use the generic
> kernel from FC5.  No recompiles on this system.

It will work, almost certainly. Maybe you won't have the most optimal
system after the replacement (eg running a i586 kernel on a i686, or no
smp kernel (multiprocessor, also used dor hyperthreading and dual core
cpus).

> Reconfiguring X does concern me a bit.  It has been 5 yrs since I last
> fiddled with such things.  I am afraid that all the advances in Linux
> installs with X configs that actually work has left me spoiled and
> lazy!  :-)
Not very hard, run system-config-display , which is essentially the same
utility that is used during fedora's installation.
If it doesn't run at all, remove /etc/X11/xorg.conf and rerun
system-config-display.

> Very good point about booting into runlevel 3!
>
> Thanks!

One thing that caused me problems in a similar situation was when the
old system had an onboard network controller, as well as a pci network
card, and the new hardware had just one network card. The boot sequence
was hanging forever trying to initialize the non-existent eth1. But that
was of course easy enough to fix from runlevel 1.

David Jansen