FC5: problems with gdm after upgrading

Tim Clemons tclemons at gmail.com
Fri Mar 24 17:43:28 UTC 2006

After finishing an FC4->FC5 upgrade, I'm finding some problems with gdm.
After selecting GNOME as my session type and logging in normally,
gnome-session fails to start and the window manager is twm rather than
metacity.  I believe the issue is with gdm because using startx brings up
gnome-session normally.

Also, this doesn't appear to be an issue of old configuration files in the
home directory.  I created a new user account to verify this and logging in
as this new user still reproduced the symptoms above.

Any ideas on what might be the problem?