Kernel recompiling error

Neil Cherry ncherry at comcast.net
Fri Mar 31 16:31:02 UTC 2006

Chethiya K Ranaweera wrote:
> On 3/31/06, Neil Cherry <ncherry at comcast.net> wrote:
>> Chethiya K Ranaweera wrote:
>>> I am trying to recompile the 2.6.16-1.2080_FC5 kernel. I followed the
>>> instructions given in the fedora core website but I get a bunch of
>>> errors in scripts/basic/fixdep.c file. Has anybody else experienced
>>> this problem??
>> What did you install and how? Give the full commands please.
>>
>> --
>> Linux Home Automation         Neil Cherry       ncherry at linuxha.com
>> http://www.linuxha.com/                         Main site
>> http://linuxha.blogspot.com/                    My HA Blog
>> http://home.comcast.net/~ncherry/               Backup site
>>
> First I installed rpmdevtools so that I can build the tree later.
>>> fedora-buildrpmtree
>
> After that, I installed the kernel-devel package first using yum. Then
> I used yumdownloader to down load and install the kernel-source. Upto
> this point everything worked fine.
>
> Then I changed directoty to /rpmbuild/SPECS and gave the following command
>>> rpmbuild -bp --target $(uname -m) kernel-2.6.spec
>
> after sometime it gave me the above error I mentioned(errors in
> scripts/basic/fixdep.c)
>
> I also tried to go to /usr/src/kernel/<kernel-ver> directory  and then
> located the .config file. Then I changed the extraversion of the
> Makefile and try to use
>>> make xconfig
> It compiled for sometime and gave me the "EXACT" error like before.
> Does this mean anything? What should I do now?

I think I got burned by this too. Some one suggested that the
devel package is for building modules. I'd recommend downloading
the kernel source and using that instead. I'm not sure if that's
the correct way or not but it does work. You can get the kernel
source from the mirrors.

Linux Home Automation         Neil Cherry       ncherry at linuxha.com
http://home.comcast.net/~ncherry/               Backup site