Problem with accents on mounted partitions

Kostas Sfakiotakis kostassf at cha.forthnet.gr
Fri Mar 31 23:17:57 UTC 2006

Greetings Paul
Paul Smith wrote:
> Dear All
>
> When I mount, from FC5, a partition of FC4 with the command
>
> mount /dev/hdc1 /mnt/fc4
>
> I get 'm\341tica' as the name of the directory 'mática'.

Well , that's to be expected , how did you expected mount (
remember mount speaks english ) to do that for you . You did
got that because your mount command was incomplete .

How can I get   the accents correctly?

If it is a FAT Partition then you can get it done correctly if it is an
NTFS partition then you can't get it .

For example i used

mount  -o iocharset=iso8859-7,codepage=737 /dev/hda1 /mnt/DosDisk

The above command gives you access to a partition that contains Greek .
No for your case just put in the correct value for iocharset and codepage.

Btw  what language was that ? Spannish ??

> Thanks in advance,
>
> Paul

Kind Regards,
   Kostas