Reliable file system?

Mike McCarty mike.mccarty at sbcglobal.net
Fri Mar 3 04:59:27 UTC 2006

Carsten Gaebler wrote:
> Better mount the filesystem with the sync option. Then every write goes
> directly to the disk bypassing the filesystem buffers. If possible, also
> turn off the disk's write cache (or set it to write-through). Together
> with ext3's data journalling mode, this should give you the most
> reliability you can get - and the worst performance. :-)

While these are excellent suggestions, they are not "the
most reliability you can get" from a disc. However, to get
much more reliability without adding an UPS requires an
entirely different and more intrusive type of approach.
By intrusive, I mean "more visible to the application",
i.e. requiring special cognizance in the application of
when it needs to "commit" operations.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.