MRTG and Multihomed NIC

Anthony Messina amessina at messinet.com
Sat Mar 4 11:10:46 UTC 2006

Khemera Lin wrote:
> Thanks for your response, Anthony. Yes, that is what I use. And here is the
> output:
>
> # /usr/bin/cfgmaker --global "WorkDir: /var/www/mrtg/fw" --global "YTics[_]:
> 8" --global "Options[_]: growright,bits" --ifref=ip public at localhost
>
> ########
> --snpo: confcache public at localhost: Ip N.N.N.1 --> 5
> --snpo: confcache public at localhost: Ip N.N.N.9 --> 5
> --snpo: confcache public at localhost: Ip N.N.N.17 --> 5
> --snpo: confcache public at localhost: Ip N.N.N.25 --> 5
> --snpo: confcache public at localhost: Ip N.N.N.33 --> 5
> ########
>
> I have 5 different network interfaces and the fifth one is multihomed to
> have multiple IPs on it. As shown above, the cfgmaker could detect all of
> the IPs (masked with N.N.N.), but the mrtg.cfg would not have separate
> entries for those IPs; it only treats all of them as one single
> IP/interface.
>
> Any more ideas please?
>
> Thanks,
> Khem

ah, i see.  i apologize, for when you initially said you "multihome," i
assumed you were not using device aliases.  i am not certain if mrtg
will be able to split out device alias information as i am not sure if
the kernel tracks only by real device.

try:

~#] snmpwalk -v 2c -c public localhost|more

and find out more about your device(s) and aliases.

as an aside, why do you need so many ip addresses (from your above
description) on the same subnet?

--
My Website: http://messinet.com
My Online Gallery: