FC5 - T3

Tony Dietrich td at transoft-adsl.demon.co.uk
Sun Mar 5 21:17:44 UTC 2006

On Sunday 05 March 2006 20:02, Daniel B. Thurman wrote:
> Hmmm....
>
> I noticed that for some reason or another, that the network
> Interface cards (NIC) are searched by finding NIC's on the PCI
> bus before finding NICs on the motherboard?
>
> This screwed up things for me of which by default, I use my
> motherboard on-board NIC's first as the PCI based NICs are
> assigned for other uses.  Is there a way to force which eth0,
> eth1 boards are being assigned to by my own preferences?
> The Administration->Network gui configurator does not allow
> me any options to change the eth0, eth1 assignments or
> to declare which of the eth0 or eth1 assignments to use as
> default or am I mistaken?
>
> The reason I noticed it was becuase on boot up, the eth0 is
> assignment is used for accessing the network of which eth1
> is the one actually connected to the LAN.
>
> Note that I am running XEN if this has anything to do with it...
>
> Please advise!
>
> Kind regards,
> Dan

YYMV, but on the mb I'm currently running with, if I go into the BIOS and
*deselect*
'Use onboard LAN'
or whatever it call it, I still get both NICs, but I get the PCI card first.
*Enabling*
'Use onboard LAN'
gets me the onboard NIC.
<shrug>

*Gives up on the weirder intricasies of hardware and heads back to PHP, MySQL,
DHTML and JavaScript.   Why did I ever agree to do this &^^%$£$^$$^^%
site????
--
Tony