From release notes for FC5T3 (web)

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Mon Mar 6 16:23:17 UTC 2006

akonstam at trinity.edu wrote:

>As usual I disagree with Rahul's analysis. kickstart is a
>whole different technology that beginning users will not
>want to tackle. We are talking about beginning users who
>don't know anything about groups and just want to install
>everything and see what they get.

There is much of a use for any end users to install all the packages
with the multiple languages and lot of duplicate redundant packages.
When Anaconda gets the ability to support Fedora Extras and other
repositories during installation, it can follow up with a move towards
reorganize the packages, providing a everything installation and a
supportable upgrade path for the Fedora Extras packages.

>Just like the rival operating system parts that give you a
>choice between custom or everything. A beginner does not
>know what to choose in a custom install. Why would it hurt
>to have the everything option?

Anaconda has been rewritten to use a yum backend and this feature has
create enough problems with no added benefits to reimplemented again.

>And I don't want to hear about subscribing to another list
>so I can give my opinion there. I am subscribed to too many
>lists already.
>
>This is another example where the community is ignored when
>important decisions are made.

Its not very useful when you voice opinions where developers wouldnt
hear them and then worry about getting ignored. The community is a not a
monotonous group and  has different opinions on what is optimal and as a
fellow contributor and community member, I am certainly against adding a
everything installation back. The number of times I had to resolve
problems for people who picked out the everything installation in FC4
and ended up with GFS dependency issues where they had intention to
setup a storage cluster or knowledge about what GFS is used for is just
alarmingly large to be worth the pain again on similar occasions.

--
Rahul