Un-RAR

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Wed Mar 8 15:54:28 UTC 2006

Steven Ringwald wrote:
> Ali Helmy wrote:
>
>> Hey mates,
>>
>> Anyone know how I can make the unrar command a default one built into
>> the system (like yum or wine) so that I can run it from anywhere? In
>> my current state, I have to manually copy the .rar files to the rar
>> folder, unzip usinf ./unrar then copy back the unzipped files... is
>> there a way over this?
>

> % echo $PATH
>
> % cp unrar <one of the directories listed above>
>

> Hope this helps!
> Steve

For years I have created a $HOME/bin directory for just this case.
Add the bin directory to my PATH in .bash_profile and go from there.

Any scripts that I write and use, I put in this directory.  They are
not available to different accounts.

But as others have said, get the rpm for unrar.
rar-3.5.1-1.2.fc4.rf
unrar-3.5.4-1.2.fc4.rf
 From Dries.

--