how do you set the locale in FC4?

Richard Bradbury richard.j.bradbury at gmail.com
Wed Mar 8 16:17:18 UTC 2006

On Thu, 12 Jan 2006 08:23:14 -0500 Claude Jones wrote:

> Don't know if this is what you're looking for, but have you played with this?
> /usr/bin/system-config-language
> This presupposes you have more than one language already installed, however.

I too had a problem with the default locale being set to en_US-UTF-8 despite
selecting a UK keyboard and London timezone at install time.  From memory,
the Anaconda graphical installer listed "English" as the only English
variant rather than "English (U.S.)", "English (British)" etc.

After a bit of rummaging around I found that the default FC4 installation
also fails to correctly list the full set of available locales in
/etc/sysconfig/i18n.  Running "/usr/bin/locale --all-locales" gives me a
massive list, but the configuration file lists only three on the line
beginning "SUPPORTED=...", as shown in Tim's example above.  Consequently,
the "system-config-language" tool recommended by Claude Jones lists "English
(USA)" as the only available option.  That's what I call Hobson's Choice ;-)

Only once I had manually appended "...:en_GB.UTF-8" to this line of the
configuration file would the "sytem-config-language" tool allow me to set my
preferred locale.  This, as you might expect, simply sets the value of
"LANG=..." in the configuration file and results in a change to the default
locale for subsequent logins.  (This system default may still be overridden
by dotfiles in your home directory, of course.)

I wonder if this problem with /etc/sysconfig/i18n is a shortcoming of the
FC4 installation procedure?

--
Richard.