Boot problem

Ian Malone ibmalone at gmail.com
Thu Mar 9 10:54:38 UTC 2006

On 3/9/06, Tim <ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au> wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-03-08 at 20:01 -0800, Antonio Olivares wrote:
> > He shuts down the computer and it cools down.  When it is cold and he
> > starts it up, it freezes refusing to load windows or fedora.  He turns
> > it up again and it warms up then it works.  It is a strange thing.
>

> Faulty power supply that's not re-starting properly (that's assuming
> that it stops for a moment when you do a reboot, mine appears to).

Also underpowered power supply[1]; booting is quite intensive.
My machine occassionally freezes on boot, esp. from cold, or
during normal operation (both Windows and Linux), and I've
suspected the psu for a while now.

[1] The situation is complicated by different current limits on the
different voltage rails, so you may have lots of power on the 12V
rail, but modern machines are heavier on the lower voltages.

--
imalone