MySQL 5.0.18/Postfix 2.2.2-2

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Thu Mar 9 12:24:23 UTC 2006

jludwig wrote:
> On Wednesday 08 March 2006 19:30, Jim Douglas wrote:
>
>>I get the following error when trying to start Postfix after rebuilding
>>with MySQL 5.0.18
>>
>>postfix: error while loading shared libraries: libmysqlclient.so.14: cannot
>>open shared object file: No such file...
>>
>>MySQL runs fine...anyone know where I can download/install
>>libmysqlclient.so.14?
>>

>>(Fedore Core 4.)
>>
>>Jim
>
> After upgrading using rpm -Uvh --nodeps --force *.rpm
> /usr/lib/libmysqlclient.so.14 is replaced with /usr/lib/libmysqlclient.so.15.
>
> You might try;
>
> ln -s /usr/lib/libmysqlclient.so /usr/lib/libmysqlclient.so.14
> or
> ln -s /usr/lib/libmysqlclient.so.15 /usr/lib/libmysqlclient.so.14
>
> If this will work I do not know.

Ugh.

For the umpteenth time: using "--nodeps" and/or "--force" is likely to
break your system, as the OP has found out. RPM's dependencies are there
for a reason and if you deliberately ignore them, don't be surprised
when other things break.

The correct fix for this problem is to install the MySQL4 compatibility
libraries, which include libmysqlclient.so.14. There is a mysqlclient14
package in rawhide for this purpose. You could probably rebuild the SRPM
on FC4 and install that to fix this problem.

Paul.