From release notes for FC5T3 (web)

Dan Thurman dant at cdkkt.com
Thu Mar 9 19:00:03 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-03-09 at 13:22 -0500, gb spam wrote:
> On 3/9/06, Claude Jones <claude_jones at levitjames.com> wrote:
> > On Thursday 09 March 2006 12:12 pm, Tony Molloy wrote:
> > > That's exactly right. What would be very useful is an "Everything Install"
> > > that installed everything but only the languages and locales you have
> > > choosen.
> > >
> > > But this battle has already been lost on another list
> >
> > What all the anti-everything adherents refuse to comprehend is that their way
> > is not the only way. I hesitate to use the term, but we're dealing with folks
> > who are controlling.
> >
> > On another list I asked two simple questions of the anti faction:
> > 1) Would it be a big deal for the coders to reinstate the "Everything install"
> > button?
>
> Rahul said a number of times that the cost was high.  When asked to
> quantify what high meant, he neglected to answer.  My suspicion is
> that it would be high on pride.
>
> > 2) Was there still an objection if the button were hidden, and accompanied by
> > large disclaimers?
> >
> > Not one of the vociferous anti-everything faction responded - this was
> > reposted three times during a very long debate on the issue. My conclusion is
> > that the decision had been taken, and the fact that numerous users disagreed
> > with the decision was of no account. The debate was never truly a debate -
> > the issue was decided without end-user input. So, I repeat, we're dealing
> > with control-freaks - it's a bad sign for Fedora, in my view.
>
> I too think that it was rpesented with a fait acomplli.
>
> IMO this is less of a community project than they try to make out.

First off, I am in no way tied to any specific distro, vendor, whatever
and this is just my opinion.

If some of you feel that your voice is falling on deaf ears, then you
do not have to use or install this distro.  There are many other distros
to choose from.  If enough people get pissed off with this distro, for
whatever reason, they will simply abandon this distro for another.

It is up to this distro to decide what is best for themselves, but if
they find that others are going to other distros, they are losing
customers, and/or business, then maybe they will learn a hard lesson
and try to win back those whose trust was damaged.  But trust, once
lost is lost forever.

As for me, I am keeping a personal running tally of the quality of
support, the ease of installation, the maintenance and bundling of
this distro and if at any time the quality of this distro drops to
unacceptable levels, then I will simply get out my other distro CD/DVD
and replace the this distro.  This distro owes me nothing nor do
I owe them anything.

So, you all have a choice; your thumb is either pointing UP or DOWN or
in-between and only you can decide what course of action is best for
you.

Dan