Enable/Disable GUI on bootup

Tim Alberts talberts at msiscales.com
Thu Mar 9 22:03:56 UTC 2006

Paul Howarth wrote ..
> In the file /etc/inittab you have a line:
>
> id:5:initdefault:
>
> Change the 5 to a 3 to disable the GUI startup.
>
> To switch between runlevels 5 and 3 without rebooting (which is what you
> are trying to do), use "telinit 3" to go to runlevel 3 (no GUI), and
> "telinit 5" to go to runlevel 5 (GUI).

That's really what I was looking for '/etc/inittabl' -> id:3:initdefault:

I was previously under the impression that switching from run level 5-3 I might loose some server apps such as MySQL or other.  Apparently the only thing that is in run level 5 'should be' GUI and X Windows then, correct?

Are there dangers with using the telinit command?  I have vague memories of reading an article that says this is a 'lower level command' and it is used as more of a last resort?  I'm wondering if what another suggestion of 'run init 3' is the preferred command?