Enable/Disable GUI on bootup

Anthony Messina amessina at messinet.com
Thu Mar 9 22:06:22 UTC 2006

David C. Chipman wrote:
> 	Hi Tim,
>
> 		Go into /etc/inittab, and change the initdefault line so that the middle field is a 3, instead of a 5. Then re boot, and use the command 'startx' when you want to use the GUI. I hope that answers your question,
>
> 			-David Chipman

also, booting into runlevel 3 then doing "startx" is not the same as
booting into runlevel 5: other services that are only configured to run
in runlevel 5 don't start that way.

if you need to boot to runlevel 3, then switch to runlevel 5, do
"telinit 5" from the runlevel 3 command prompt.

man telinit

--
My Website: http://messinet.com
My Online Gallery: