Unusual termianl prompt?

Ian Malone ibmalone at gmail.com
Thu Mar 9 22:52:32 UTC 2006

kevin.kempter at dataintellect.com wrote:
> On Thursday 09 March 2006 15:20, Tim Alberts wrote:
>

>>How is this configured and how do I make it 'normal'?

Well, there's normal and there's normal...

> You need to set the environment variable PS1
> mine prints the current directory and then a prompt on the line below the
> current dir display:
>
> export PS1='\[\n[$PWD]\] \n\[\033[1;34m\]\u@\h\[\033[m $\] '
>
> the standard user at host PS1 would be something like:
> export PS1='[\u@\h~]$ '
> -or-
> export PS1='\u@\h [$PWD] $ '

For the benefit of the OP, FC3 uses
PS1='[\u@\h \W]\$ '

\W giving the basename of $PWD
(info bash:bash features:printing a prompt)

[ian at localhost var]$ cd /media/wind/Music/
[ian at localhost Music]$

Obviously there are advantages and disadvantages to this (that 'var'
is actually '/home/ian/var', you need a memory conditioned by years
of using consoles to reduce mistakes).

--
imalone