Samba problem needs translation

Styma, Robert E (Robert) stymar at lucent.com
Fri Mar 10 19:18:32 UTC 2006

> Can someone more experienced with samba look at the following log entries and
> translate for me - at least, educated guesses as to what I need to be looking
> for?

>  --------------------- samba Begin ------------------------
>
>  **Unmatched Entries**
>  nmbd/nmbd_browsesync.c:find_domain_master_name_query_fail(353)
> find_domain_master_name_query_fail:  Unable to find the Domain Master Browser
> name MYDOMAIN.LAN<1b> for the workgroup MYDOMAIN.LAN.  Unable to sync browse
> lists in this workgroup. : 96 Time(s)
>  smbd/service.c:set_current_service(51)  chdir (/home/anne/Public) failed : 1
> Time(s)

> Thanks
>
> Anne

It looks like samba is having trouble finding the Master Browser.  It is possible
that there is not one on that subnet.  If you do not have a smb.conf line:
wins server = 1.2.3.4
(Where 1.2.3.4 is the IP address of the master browser) you might try that.
If you do have a wins server line, it would be some kind of communication
problem.

Bob Styma