How do I add a SATA drive to a system that already has an IDE drive?

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Sat Mar 11 16:09:02 UTC 2006

Derek Tattersall wrote:

> The ide drive is /dev/hda, the SATA drive is /dev/sda. The problem is
> with GRUB on /dev/hda, it never gets as far as loading the kernel. GRUB
> hangs with the message: Loading stage 2. I have been reading the grub
> docs, but I cannot find anything relevant. Does anyone know what GRUB is
> doing at stage 2? I don't know what kinds of problems could lead to this
> error.

Stage 2 is that part of Grub that knows about file systems. It
presents the menu, and loads the OS you select. It is the part
of Grub that does the "real" work.

It sounds like Grub is trying to load stage 2 from the wrong drive.
The first stage loader has to use the BIOS to load the second stage.
You may want to try booting with a rescue disk, and re-installing
Grub, so it gets the correct BIOS mapping with the SATA drive
installed.

Mikkel