Share /boot between fc3 and fc5?

jludwig wralphie at comcast.net
Sat Mar 11 16:37:42 UTC 2006

On Saturday 11 March 2006 09:38, Tony Nelson wrote:
> I'd like to install FC5t3 on my system, in a spare LVM partition.

> I  already have 4 basic partitions, one of which is my /boot.  I'd need to
> have FC3 and FC5t3 sharing /boot.

If I read correctly you want to share all directories for both FC3 and FCt5.

> Do I need to do anything special when
> installing FC5t3?  Should I let the installer know about the real /boot and
> do its thing?  Should I have it put everything in the LVM partition and
> copy the relevent files from its /boot to the real one, and modify the
> grub.conf by hand?
> TonyN.:'                       <mailto:tonynelson at georgeanelson.com>
>       '                              <http://www.georgeanelson.com/>

It is not only /boot but just about all other directories
(S.A. /lib, /bin, /sbin, /usr/bin, etc.), since almost all packages will be
upgraded or replaced this would cause serious issues especially upgrades of
libraries which are often (always?) linked to the upgraded versions.

Examples;
libpthread.so.0 -> libpthread-0.10.so
libssl.so.4 -> libssl.so.0.9.7a
libssl.so.5 -> libssl.so.0.9.7f
libssl.so.6 -> /lib/libssl.so.0.9.7f
libss.so.2 -> libss.so.2.0

Yum and rpm usage and setup would at least be a kluge and nightmare since they
would want to share the same databases.

I have done this with /home and even this can have serious issues, since some
of the configuration files will be new and/or changed in some way (S.A.
menus).
--
Some people have convictions.
Some people have opinions