Sendmail authentication issue or spam?

Neil Cherry ncherry at comcast.net
Sun Mar 12 19:39:20 UTC 2006

Gbenga Shobowale wrote:
> Thanks..however, I still get the same error..maybe I am doing something
> wrong....
>
> On 3/12/06, *Neil Cherry* <ncherry at comcast.net
> <mailto:ncherry at comcast.net>> wrote:
>
>     Gbenga Shobowale wrote:
>      > Thanks but I really don't understand the mechanism to use... I
>     think I
>      > would have to understand that....I looked at the examples on the
>      > internet and the U: was set to root...I: the username and P:password
>      > given...
>      > Could u please explain mechanism to use?
>      >
>      > AuthInfo:cobranet.org <http://cobranet.org>
>     <http://cobranet.org/> "U:user_authname" "P:password"
>      > "M:mechanism_to_use"
>
>     Hey you just reminded me how I got my mail working with auth:
>
>     /etc/mail/sendmail.mc
>
>     FEATURE(`authinfo',`hash /etc/mail/auth/client-info')dnl
>
>     /etc/mail/auth/client-info
>
>     AuthInfo: smtp.host.com <http://smtp.host.com> "U:userid" "I:userid"
>     "P:password"
>     AuthInfo:smtp.host.com:587 <http://smtp.host.com:587> "U:userid"
>     "I:userid" "P:password"
>
>     I remember compiling the mc file to get the cf file. I don't
>     remember if there were any other changes.

Well for one thing I'd leave jsut the cobranet.org (you've problably
tried that).

I just checked my cf file and found this:

# "Smart" relay host (may be null)
DSsmtp.host.com:587

C{E}root
C{w}myhostname.uucp
C{M}myotherhostname.dnsalias.org

DMmyotherhostname.dnsalias.org

# I remember this giving me some trouble where my user couldn't send
O UserDatabaseSpec=/etc/mail/userdb.db

Unfortunately it was a couple of years ago that I set this up
and I can't remember everything I did.

Linux Home Automation         Neil Cherry       ncherry at linuxha.com
http://home.comcast.net/~ncherry/               Backup site