DVD burning issue - more info

Kostas Sfakiotakis kostassf at cha.forthnet.gr
Sun Mar 12 23:39:28 UTC 2006

Greetings Anne,

Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Sunday 12 March 2006 19:23, Anne Wilson wrote:
>> I'm trying to burn a data DVD with k3b (FC4), but keep getting the error
>> "growisofs did not exit cleanly".  Any ideas, please?
>>
> I tried xcdroast, and that seems to be looking for /usr/bin/cdrecord.prodvd,
> which does not exist.  I've not seen this before.

That's perfectly logical . You see xcdroast is not a standalone programm
but actually is a frontend to cdrecord . In other words you see xcdroast
running with beautifull windows and the rest but the real job is done
by cdrecord. Now the original version of cdrecord was for writing CDs
( Audio, Data , mixed , you name it ) , cdrecord.prodvd is the
extension for writing DVDs . That's all that it is about .

If you don't mind , why don't you use growisofs from the command line ?
It should look something like the one below :

#growisofs -R -J  -speed=8  -Z /dev/scd0 /Data

-R : stands for the Rockridge Extensions , well you need this
so that mkisofs will not produce a warning because you used -J
-J : stands for the Joliet Extensions . If the DVD you want to
write will be read sometime by a Computer running Microsoft
Windows then you need this .
-Z : you put the DVD Recorder device ( the above example was
when i was using a 2.4 kernel with the ide-scsi emulation )
/Data : is the directory that contains the data to be written
to the DVD

> Anne

Kind Regards,