Delist this person: From: petsupermarket

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Mon Mar 13 13:35:51 UTC 2006

Patrick wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-03-13 at 23:06 +1030, Tim wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 2006-03-13 at 12:57 +0100, Patrick wrote:
>>
>>>I propose World+Dog is unsubscribed from the list, the mailinglist
>>>software is tweaked to address such problems and let everybody
>>>subscribe again.
>>
>>The trouble is that even if you did force everyone to resubscribe,
>>there's nothing stopping a spammer from doing so again.  Remember that
>>they're *receiving* messages from the list, but posting *directly* to
>>all the victims.  Any cretin can do that, and there's little a list
>>owner can do about that, unless they can figure out which subscriber is
>>the cretin, and that mayn't be possible.
>

> Reading also James Wilkinson's comments ("the list administrators tried
> putting per-subscriber data in the subject of a non-list e-mail sent to
> all subscribers, and got nothing back...") I understand now that this is
> not an easy problem to solve. I'm not experienced in list admin stuff at
> all but could this potentially work?  A script that disables mail
> delivery to all list subscribers except subscriber <n> and send out an
> email to the list. Wait for the uol.com.br response. If it isn't
> received, disable mail delivery for subscriber <n>, enable mail delivery
> for subscriber <n+1> and send out the message again. Rinse and repeat
> until success.

fedora-list is not the only list suffering from this problem - it's also
affecting debian-user, debian-devel (see
http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2006/01/msg00079.html), Canberra
Linux Users Group
(http://lists.samba.org/archive/linux/2006-March/015000.html). I suspect
that someone is doing this maliciously.