International Chars cause backup problems

Anne Wilson cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk
Mon Mar 13 15:01:26 UTC 2006

I have a number of files on my server that have international characters in
their names.  My backups are constantly failing, with errors like this:

Incorrectly encoded string (Soy Loco por Ti, América) encountered.
Possibly creating an invalid Joliet extension. Aborting.

I could continue trying to find every instance of these characters, but it's
very inefficient.  It seems to me that I have only ever used the character
sets utf8, 8859-1 and 8859-15, yet setting kde to use any of them results in
titles with spaces instead of the international characters.  I presume that
only file labels are causing problem - there will be strings in text
documents as well.

I've installed convmv, which is supposed to deal with converting character
sets, but it seems to me that the biggest problem is knowing which files need
conversion.  I don't particularly want it to go through the whole drive
converting everything unnecessarily.

Any ideas how I can ascertain which character sets were used in naming these
files, and how to list all files using that encoding?  Or any other way of
tackling the problem?

Anne