Fedora Core component differences

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Mon Mar 13 15:58:28 UTC 2006

Beartooth wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Mar 2006 11:59:28 +0100, Axel Thimm wrote:
>

>>Maybe the following is helpful?
>>
>>http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=fedora
>>
>>There are 177 packages compared, and you can ask for "major package
>>comparison" (54 packages) only. The definition of major packages is of
>>course distrowatch specific, but will mostly cover all you're asking
>>for, e.g. will give you the rough idea of what major components have
>>been touched from release to release.
>

> Very helpful here! Many many thanks!
>
> Followup (perhaps Very Dumb, perhaps alas! OT) Question : is there a
> straightforward way to tell before trying an install whether thing like
> the mozilla offshoots (Galeon, Epiphany, whatever), and maybe other
> things, if not native to FC5, will run into dependency hell again?
>
> Example: I did without Galeon for years, and just got it back, much to my
> delight, with 2.0; if there were to be another trek through dependency
> hell to get it, I might just put off going from FC4 to FC5 for a while, in
> hopes someone would put a canned fix on a repo somewhere.

Galeon is being maintained in Fedora Extras now, so it should keep up
reasonably well. However, there will probably be a few days of
dependency issues in the period between an update of the mozilla/firefox
on which it's based and a rebuilt galeon package that uses that new
version. Doesn't happen too often though.

Paul.