Delist this person: From: petsupermarket

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Mon Mar 13 20:20:21 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-03-13 at 19:59 +0000, David Fletcher wrote:
> On Monday 13 Mar 2006 18:24, Mike McCarty wrote:
> > David Fletcher wrote:
> > >
> > > I don't know anything about running a list server, so this might be a
> > > daft idea, but would it be possible to get the server to strip, say, six
> > > characters from in front of or after the '@' character in the reply-to
> > > address before accepting postings? Then we could all add the appropriate
> >
> > Please, not before. That is a major pain in the lower back for
> > admins.
> >
> > Mike
> > --
>
> Thinking about this some more, if I understand it properly, the cretin is
> exploiting the reply-to email address in every message after it has left the
> list. So there would be no point in the list subscribers doing anything to
> invalidate their own addresses before sending postings to the list.
>
> To my mind, what would do the job would be the addition of some characters
> somewhere in the subscriber's email reply-to address before sending postings
> back out to the list of members. That would only need to be done once per
> posting, so it would be very easy on computing resources if it were possible.
>
> For instance, if my email address could be changed from fc at fletchersweb.net to
> fc at fletcdefghhersweb.net before sending out postings to the subscribers there
> would be virtually no chance of it being a valid email address, so the
> cretin's auto reply would not be able to spam the members.
>
> But on the odd occasions that members need to make contact off list, the
> pattern would be obvious. So pretty soon the cretin would stop being a bloody
> nuisance to everybody.
----
this happens to be just one of the very many lists on redhat.com and I
don't see the list admins asking for suggestions on how to handle this.
So without offering to write the program necessary for redhat as a
supplement to their list management software, making suggestions about
what 'they' should do is  strictly engaging in a self-indulgent
activity.

Unless of course, you create a bugzilla entry in the mailman package as
an RFE  ;-)  My thinking is that unless you are running lists yourself
and experiencing this problem, it's not too likely to get much traction.

Craig