DVD burning issue

Kostas Sfakiotakis kostassf at cha.forthnet.gr
Mon Mar 13 23:35:27 UTC 2006

Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Monday 13 March 2006 21:49, Kostas Sfakiotakis wrote:
>> Anne Wilson wrote:

< snip >
> I half-remembered reading somewhere that there is a general move towards utf8,
> and that it was expected that before long some applications would not
> function correctly with other character sets.

  That's why I chose utf8 over
> ISO8859-1.  Since it works, it may be best to stick with it.

If i recall correctly utf-8 is an effort of making a uniform way of
representing English and Non-English as well . I don't have the
slightest idea whether it is a standard yet or not . I don't know also
whether for example mount will something like that ( sticking with the
utf-8 character set ) . To that effect have you tried to mount a
partition be it fat32/ntfs/ext2/ext3/xfs ( choose one ) with the
utf-8 character set ?

In other words am uncertain whether there will be compatibility
problems with other applications or not if you stick with the
utf-8 . Certainly is a solution though .

> Let me know whether your experiments with Greek filenames are successful?

Well it's getting kind of late around here ( i don't know about where
you are but here is almost 1:30 am in the morning , so the experiment
will have to wait until tonight . I will try with both ISO8859-7 and
utf-8 and see how it goes . Afterwards i will post the results

> Anne

Kind Regards,
   Kostas