Encrypting different directories

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Tue Mar 14 17:56:05 UTC 2006

Louis E Garcia II wrote:
> Is it possible to encrypt users home directories separately instead of
> just one partition?
>
> I was thinking if every user had their own cypher key, there home
> directories could be encrypted and there login password could be the
> cypher key?
>
> This would not require the /home partition be encrypted but every users
> home directory.
>
> Is this possible with fedora?
>
> -Louis

I am looking into this as well.

I don't want to encrypt the whole home directory as it will be on a
RAID device and doesn't require it.  Not all users require encryption
at all times.  What I want is the ability to encrypt subdirectories as
required.  Such as work done at home that needs to be protected from
everyone else but me.  Something that needs to ensure that the files
are encrypted, even if the power is removed to crash the system.

Enough control to allow this to be done in the background instead of
having to decrypt and re-encrypt directories/files as required.
Pre-assigning a loop back device would require to much space dedicated
to a single user/application that would change as requirements change.
  40gig one day and 200 gig the next.

--
Robin Laing