SAMBA configuration - Machine name

Mike McCarty Mike.McCarty at sbcglobal.net
Fri Mar 17 06:18:47 UTC 2006

Craig White wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-03-16 at 23:47 -0600, Mike McCarty wrote:
>
>>Ben wrote:
>>
>>>The main point is that Mike use "net use * \\presario\tmp" instead of "net
>>>use f: \\presario\jmccarty" .
>>
>>My main point up to now is that the machine can't be *found*,
>>let alone attached to. However, after opening up UDP, it appears
>>that it can be found, but is denying access, even for a view.
>>
>>So, that's progress of a sort.
>>
>>Thanks all, for your help so far.
>
> ----
> I don't know what you are referring to with 'found' and 'attached to'

I mean that there is a difference between an error reporting that
there's no such machine, and an error reporting that the named
machine won't let you in. I was getting the former error. Now
that I've opened up a UDP hole I'm getting the latter.

> You do know do you not...that you must create 'samba' users and
> passwords that 'match' up against 'posix' users - either by exact name
> match or via smbusers mapping do you not?

Yes, but I didn't use the command line, I used GNOME.

> useradd craig
> passwd craig
>
> smbpasswd -a craig
> smbpasswd craig
>
> cat /etc/samba/smbpasswd

# cat /etc/samba/smbpasswd
jmccarty:500:C0C124016DDCBA42EA576B0E79A41058:E5292589F4BB3BBC3C6B855860B7937A:[U
          ]:LCT-4419B9BE:

> from Linux system...
>
> net view -L PRESARIO

# net view -L PRESARIO
No command: view
No command: view

However...

# net lookup PRESARIO
172.17.205.79

Which is indeed the IP for this machine.

> (no user/no authentication...should work - to list 'browseable' shares
> on server)

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.