SAMBA configuration - Machine name SOVED (?)

Mike McCarty Mike.McCarty at sbcglobal.net
Fri Mar 17 06:58:38 UTC 2006

Mike McCarty wrote:

I made another change...

I changed the privileges on /tmp to be based on SHARE rather
than USER, and I successfully connected to /tmp.

JMCCARTY at AMD586 Q:\NET> net use * \\presario\tmp
E: connected to \\PRESARIO\TMP.

HUZZAH!

Thanks all for the help. I guess that perhaps I can't use
user level control. I opened up /tmp for all users, I'll
try restricting it, and see whether passwords work.

I hand edited /etc/samba/smb.conf to make the machine name
be PRESARIO-1, and was able to connect successfully, so
apparently the docu I read about 8 characters for MSDOS
MSCLIENT isn't correct, or I misremembered it.

Ok, I set /tmp to be restricted to jmccarty, and used

JMCCARTY at AMD586 Q:\NET> net use * \\presario-1\tmp ?

and got a prompt for password, which when I entered it
allowed me in.

So it seems to work so far.

Now to find out how to make the MSDOS machine a server rather
than a client, and then I can make backups using the CDROM
drive on my Linux machine!

Thanks all for your help. I appreciate each reply, the expertise,
and the time contributed.

Special thanks go to William Hooper, Michael H. Warfield, and
Craig White, each of whom contributed key pieces of information.

Now all I gotta do is document what I did, so I can do it again
if I need to...

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.