iptables forwarding question

Benjamin Franz snowhare at nihongo.org
Fri Mar 17 15:40:14 UTC 2006

On Fri, 17 Mar 2006, James Pifer wrote:

>> Try
>>
>> iptables -i ppp0 -t nat -A PREROUTING -j DNAT -s $remote_ip -d $local_ip --to-destination $internal_ip
>>
>> --
>> Benjamin Franz
>>

> That worked, but performance is terrible, but it's only terrible in the
> return direction. I confirmed that on the other end the quality is fine,
> but on my end it's not even usable. Any ideas? I wonder why the return
> is so awful.

Define 'performance is terrible'. That isn't a very useful description of the problem.

What do traceroute and ping look like from each end? Are you seeing lots
of packet loss or RTTs or is something else entirely happening? What
_other_ iptable rules are in your system? What does your route table look
like? Are you seeing anything in /var/log/messages?

You haven't given anywhere near enough information to guess at causes.

--
Benjamin Franz

If you can't handle reality, it *will* handle you.