mount Win partitions

Eric Beversluis econophil at charter.net
Fri Mar 17 15:47:57 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-03-17 at 08:03 -0600, Jeff Vian wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-03-16 at 23:59 +0200, Kostas Sfakiotakis wrote:
> > Greetings Eric ,
> >
> > Eric Beversluis wrote:
> > > I can't fine a graphical device in FC4 that lets me mount and set to
> > > mount automatically on boot my NTFS and FAT32
> >
> > Well , i really doubt that there is graphical tool that will set Linux
> > to automount
> > an NTFS or a FAT32 partition . This work belongs to the file /etc/fstab .
> > In /etc/fstab you put the partitions that you want to be mounted on boot .
> >
> > So first of all backup your /etc/fstab file .
> > Then open it with your favourite editor ( use a console and NEVER A GUI )
> > and add a couple of lines that would look like the ones below
> >
> > /dev/hda1	/WinNTFSpartition	NTFS	 defaults 	0 0
> > /dev/hda5	/WinFAT32partition	FAT32	defaults       0 0
> >
> > Now just save the file and reboot , such changes can't be applied
> > without a reboot .
> >
> Reboot is not required. Once the entries are made and the mount points
> exist a simple "mount -a" command will handle the mounting for you.
>

> > That's all .
> >

> > Kind Regards,
> >     Kostas

Got it done once I realized (a) I have to substitute what I named my
mount points for your 'WinNTFSPartition'; (b) the entry needs to
be /mnt/ntfshdd; (c) FAT32 in not a know file type--needs to be vfat
(lower case).

For my protection, should I have ntfs mount read-only? if so, do I
replace one of the zeros at the end of the line with 'r'? Does it matter
which one?

Thanks for all the help. I'll get there.