fedora installation problems

jim phelps jimtrish at worldnet.att.net
Fri Mar 17 17:29:18 UTC 2006

Im having problem installing FC4, maybe someone can
help.

I have been using FC2 with no problems.
I installed FC4 from a set of CDs from Linuxcd.org.
Installation went OK, no problems.

I prefer to boot to a text based 'console', then start
the X system and KDE using 'startx'. Ive managed to do
this on other systems, (RH7,RH9,FC2), by changing
initdefault in inittab from 5 to 3 (or 2 in FC4, there is no
network).

When I attempt to return from KDE, however, instead of
returning to a normal console screen (black with white text),
the screen turns pink with a narrow green border! The keyboard
apparently still functions as I can type 'halt' and the
computer eventually halts even though no text is visable on
the screen. Once halted, I can reboot using CTRL-ALT-DEL,
and the black screen returns and everything appears normal.
I tried installing twice with the same results.
The install detected the monitor and graphics card correctly,
nothing special here (Matrox G200).

Has something changed between FC2 and FC4 to cause this
behavior?

If I revert to the default graphical boot, I still have a problem
in that if I click on the 'shutdown' tab at the bottom of the
screen, the system shutsdown, but then immediatly reboots.
I want it to shutdown and HALT.

Thanks for any help,
Regards
Jimp