FC4 on a projector

Ken Schutte kschutte at csail.mit.edu
Fri Mar 17 20:53:06 UTC 2006

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right directory for
getting my FC4 laptop to display correctly on a projector.
Specifically, I've had problems trying an X40 Thinkpad on a Hitachi
CP-X443 projector.

I've tried a few things, but here's where I'm at now:
If I reboot with the projector plugged in, things display correctly on
the projector, but I can't seem to turn on the projector and the laptop
display simultaneously.  My Fn-F7 does toggle between modes, but they do
not display correctly (either mouse disappears, or a bar is shown on
top. however, none show on my laptop lcd, except very briefly).

I've been trying both Fn-F7, and using the ibm_acpi commands in
/proc/acpi/ibm/video.  After rebooting with projector plugged in, even
if I set crt_enable and lcd_enable, it is only shown on the projector.
I am using 1024x768, 60Hz, and the projector displays this correctly.

Could this maybe be fixed with some simple xorg.conf settings?  Has
anyone had a similar setup working?

Thanks,
Ken