fc3: where to get newest kernel from ?

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sat Mar 18 03:25:21 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-03-18 at 10:00 +1030, Tim wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-03-17 at 10:31 -0800, John Wendel wrote:
> > I run kernel 2.6.15.6 from kernel.org on my FC3 systems. Works fine
> > for me on some Intel and AMD based boxes, but as they say, your
> > mileage may vary.
>
> Just for the sake of curiosity, was that difficult to do?  I was of the
> understanding that Red Hat extensively customised kernels for their own
> distributions.
---
they do and you can download kernel-source package to see the list of
patches in the spec file. Some of them are back port patches from fixes
in later kernels so running a new kernel might obviate a number of them.

the other patches might work against the kernel source if that section
of code didn't change and thus could still be applied prior to building
but I suspect many people don't bother.

Craig