Problems installing FC4 on Dell Optiplex GX620

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Sun Mar 19 03:52:38 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-03-18 at 19:30, Myth User wrote:
> So you're saying that Linux does support SATA as good or better than other
> platforms.  And you're saying that because of one anicdotle expirence
> envolving your putting a CDRom on a RAID controller that somehow the two
> platforms are equal?
>
> Just because you don't know how to set SCSI Select to boot from a CD doesn't
> mean anything.

I'm countering your implication that Windows is typically ahead
of Linux, and my anecdote is just as good as yours.

This isn't a RAID controller - it is a scsi controller not
supported by Windows. Booting from a CD isn't the issue - bios
takes care of that. The problem is that Windows 2000 and XP did
not include driver support for the Adaptec ultra320 scsi controller
(not raid) on the install CD, and only offers to load vendors'
drivers from a floppy during the install - and many current
servers do not include floppy drives.  The only reason people
think windows is easy to install is that they've never had to
do it themselves on a new machine.  RedHat 9 (older than the
controller and XP) was the last release that didn't install
automatically on those boxes and it would accept an updated
driver during the install process from CD or a USB flash drive.

--
  Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com