Setting X11 Screen Resolution.

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Sun Mar 19 07:17:29 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-03-18 at 23:24 -0700, Reg Clemens wrote:
> > On Sat, 2006-03-18 at 19:04 -0700, Reg Clemens wrote:
> > > I know there is  a place to set the X11 Screen size/Screen Resolution if the
> > > server
> > > just 'gets it wrong' but I cant find that place/ remember where it is.
> > >
> > > Can someone with a better memory than mine tell me WHERE IT IS?
> > >
> > With xorg it is in /etc/X11/xorg.conf
> >
> Well, I know about xorg.conf.
> And reading the man page, I see somethings I used to set here, like the
> size of the screen in mm are now missing.
>
> Setting the Monitor type, as suggested by Dan, is not possible, as the
> Monitor (a flat screen Samsung) is newer than the Fedora release...
>
> I just had a feeling, that there was someplace else.
> That by setting SOMETHING I could determine whether X11 used
> the 75 or 100dpi fonts, and (probably) determined a number of other
> things.
>
> xdpyinfo gives a screen size in mm, there must be some place to
> overrride that.

One thing that has been a problem for me has been the switch to using
EDID data from the monitor to set the video card.

My samsung DFP will not work at max resolution (1600x1200) unless the
vert refresh is set to 60hz.
The DPI is not set correctly unless I have both the resolution and the
screen size in mm set.
Fonts similarly have a problem.

One of the things I had to do in order to get the monitor working
properly was to first install the nvidia driver, then use some of the
nvidia configuration options to force an override the xorg use of EDID
data before I could set the resolution to 1600x1200 with a 95x95 dpi
rate.

You do not say what your monitor or video card is, but there are lots of
things that affect the configuration.  Xorg.conf is just the first of
those.