Insufficient system storage

Anne Wilson cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk
Sun Mar 19 12:39:09 UTC 2006

On Sunday 19 March 2006 03:33, Jeff Vian wrote:
> On Sat, 2006-03-18 at 21:54 +0000, Anne Wilson wrote:
> > On Saturday 18 March 2006 20:00, Tom Spec wrote:
> > > If /tmp gets full that would definitely cause problems
> > > with your system.
> > >
> > > What is the output of df?
> > >
> > > If /tmp is 100% full you can either go in there and
> > > delete stuff, or make it bigger.
> >
> > /tmp is under /, and there is 1.6GB free.  I think that I had just got
> > something into a loop so that it was filling up with temporary space.  I
> > had to reboot, and everything's fine now.  Just a pebcak, I think.
>
> What is your filesystem structure?
> /tmp being part of / can be a _bad thing_ in cases as you just saw.
>
> Only 1.6GiB of free space in / would not be a bad thing if / is small
> and <70% used.  OTOH, if / is a large partition and usage is in the 90%+
> range that is not a good thing.

/ is 7.6GB and 79% full.  There is 1.2GB in there that could be moved out, if
necessary, though I'd prefer to keep it there if possible.

I have plenty of free space on that drive.  I could create a new partition
for /tmp.  I know it is possible to redirect to the new partition, but I'm
not sure how to do it.  Is it just a matter of creating an fstab line, or
would the presenct of /tmp under root confuse matters?  I presume I could not
delete /tmp from the running system.  I could use knoppix, of course.

This logic feels wrong.  I'll think about it some more, but also appreciate
advice.

Anne