Problems installing FC4 on Dell Optiplex GX620

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Sun Mar 19 19:16:15 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-03-19 at 02:44, Myth User wrote:
> I know nothing about PostgreSQL.

It's easy enough to find out - even to test on any scale.  The
only thing missing is a salesperson to buy you a free lunch while
showing you a bunch of glossy photos.

Sun thinks it is good enough to provice 24x7 support:
http://www.sun.com/smi/Press/sunflash/2005-11/sunflash.20051117.1.xml
And here are some common misconceptions explained:
http://searchopensource.techtarget.com/originalContent/0,289142,sid39_gci1172668,00.html

> For the last several years I've only seen DB/2, Oracle, and SQL Server in
> the top ten list here at TPC
>
> http://www.tpc.org/tpch/results/tpch_perf_results.asp

The tpc doesn't necessarily reflect real-world performance and
certainly gives no indication of real-world price/performance.

> Some say that you can make numbers say anything but these tests are carried
> out according to strict vendor independant rules and are audited by
> certified auditors so there is no cheating possible.  Each test has the full
> specs and setup published so that anyone can and sometimes they do repeat
> them.
>
> http://www.tpc.org/information/about/abouttpc.asp

Yes, vendors are free to optimize their product for this
particular test at the expense of real-world use.   However
all the proprietary database come with restrictions against
publishing benchmark comparisons that would show more
typical usage.

--
  Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com