Problems installing FC4 on Dell Optiplex GX620

Christopher A. Williams chrisw01 at comcast.net
Sun Mar 19 23:06:35 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-03-19 at 13:37 -0600, Anthony Messina wrote:
> Craig White wrote:
> > On Sun, 2006-03-19 at 13:52 -0500, Bruce Keats wrote:
> >
> >>I did manage to finally install FC4 on Friday.  Originally, I was
> >>trying to install the x86_64 CDs without any success, with the SATA
> >>controller set in either "normal" or "combined" mode.  I did manage to
> >>get FC3 installed with the SATA controller set to "combined".  Late
> >>Friday, I set the SATA controller to "normal" mode and tried the
> >>normal i386 install CDs (instead of the x86_64 CDs) and everything
> >>went OK.
> >>
> >>I am not sure what the particular recipe is for these Dell Optiplex
> >>GX620's, but I will try and figure out a recipe.  It seems to me that
> >>you may need a Linux partition on the drive first.  I vaguely remember
> >>seeing a post about this in one of my Google searches.  These boxes
> >>arrived from Dell with Windows XP pro already installed.  It could
> >>also be problem with the SATA controller on the x86_64 CDs.  Since I
> >>have a number of these Dell's kicking around, I will try some
> >>different combinations to determine what the recipe is.
> >>
> >>I will post my results in a day or so.

<snip>

> thanks craig.  i appreciate it :)
>
> bruce, do you have a particluar reason to use fc4 instead of waiting for
> fc5 tomorrow.  i agree with craig in that you may see better results
> with fc5.  of course, if you don't, you can always go back to fc4, but
> since the release is impending, why not have all the new bells/whistles?
>
> (you may have a very good reason, which i won't question, but since the
> release is almost available...)

Add to this I have seen many a post here about anomales with the 64-bit
versions. Since Bruce says the 32-bit version seemed to work just fine,
it really does point to being another SATA/64-bit version problem.

...And then FC5 is going to open up a whole new can of worms.

We have a number of new Dells at our church and this is something I'd
like to follow as well since we will be buying more in the near future.

Cheers,

Chris

--
"Never murder a man when he's