Ssh keys problem

Andy Green andy at warmcat.com
Tue Mar 21 10:25:44 UTC 2006

Anne Wilson wrote:

> Warning - the authenticity of host 'borg (127.0.0.1)'... can't be established
> RSA key fingerprint is ......
> Are you sure you want to continue?
>
> Permanently added 'borg' (RSA) to the list of known hosts.
>

> It's perfectly possible that, when I made a boo-boo on transfering some files
> from my home directory a couple of days ago, I could have overwritten
> something.  In fact, I think that's the most likely reason.  Question is,
> though, how do I go about troubleshooting this?  Should I delete the .ssh
> directory on the remote box so that I have to start afresh there?

Put simply, borg was not in your clientside ~/.ssh/known_hosts.  When
you said yes, it was added.  There's nothing to troubleshoot about that,
from now on ssh connects to borg will be checked against the signature
stored now in your known_hosts, silently unless borg's signature changes
(because it is another machine trying to fake you out, or because you
reinstalled the OS on borg, etc).

 > urgent.  Yesterday I found that it was asking for the password for every
 > transfer, and I'm sure it wasn't the day before.  I've done one
transfer this
 > morning, and this is what happened:

When you run ssh-agent, it prints out some shell commands to set
environment vars.  You need to make sure that the environment you run
ssh from has those vars in it, otherwise ssh cannot communicate with
ssh-agent.

-Andy